[Orgmode] Re: Set timestamp duration

From: Nuutti Kotivuori
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Set timestamp duration
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:14:00 +0300

Bastien wrote:
> For new appointments, I cannot think of an easier way to insert
> duration than inserting it at the prompt.
>
> For example, to set a appointment for tomorrow from 20:00 to 22:00, you
> would do this:
>
> C-c .         | org-time-stamp
> S-right       | select tomorrow date
> "20:00-22:00" | insert the duration
> return        | you're done!

Yes, I have used this often.

> For existing appointments, just put the point on the timestamp and edit
> it as if you were creating it.

I didn't remember that you could "edit" timestamps so easily - so
that's in improvement.

The problem with that is that when I press C-c . it defaults to the
current date and time when over a timestamp, instead of the time that
is specified on the timestamp - so to modify it, I have to do as much
work as I did when creating it.

> Does that help?

That helped some, but missed an important point.

For me, the *duration* of an appointment is the main piece of
information I usually have - not when it is going to end. So I don't
want to spend my measly brain cells to consider what's 5 and a half
hours from 11:40, but just say 5:30 as the duration (or 5h30 or 5.5 or
whatever).

But that's not such a biggie.

-- Naked