Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: org-agenda-set-category
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 05:40:26 +0200

On Sep 4, 2007, at 20:00, Bastien wrote:

"T. V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

It would be nice to have an interactive org-agenda-set-category
alongside org-agenda-set-tag in the agenda buffer.

I think it doesn't make sense to have `org-agenda-set-category' until we
are able to set the category as a property of the headline.

For now categories (like the archiving locations) are set by looking
*backward* for a line like #+CATEGORY or #+ARCHIVE.

When setting the category with `org-agenda-set-category', where should
such a line be inserted/modified? Just above the headline? Then storing
this headline won't delete the #+CATEGORY line. Just under the headline?
Then the headline itself won't be recognized as belonging to that
category...  See the discussion here:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/2898

Please anybody stops me if I'm wrong, but I guess the #+ARCHIVE and
#+CATEGORY instructions are slowly dying and will be set as properties
in the future.

I have been thinking in this direction as well.  The only problem is
that properties are quite invisible during normal working.

But I agree that the multiple #+CATEGORY things in a single file are
complex and not very clean, so properties might be better.

Then, in the new world, where such #+CONSTRUCTS are only used to set
*file* properties (not headlines properties),

Yes, I'd like to go there, eventually.

 it will be okay to set
whatever property you want through the column view -- and perhaps the
column view itself would be available in the agenda ebuffer

it is!