Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request: Selective encryption

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request: Selective encryption
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 03:00:29 +0200

Hi,

   A few other options:

       - EPG also has the function epa-encrypt-region.  It asks for a
         recipient's key to use for encrypting, and does symmetric
         encryption if none is selected.  This could be used to selectively
         encrypt certain subtrees.  Especially given that...

       - message-mode has functions like mml-secure-encrypt (there are lots
         of others in the mml-secure-* family).  These functions use the
         strategy of inserting tags around the region to be encrypted.  I
         haven't actually read the functions, but from the outside it looks
         like the tags are used to set the region, the region is
         encrypted/signed, and then the tags are removed from the outgoing
         copy of the message.  FWIW, the tags look like (the leading # was
         added by me to keep the tag from actually doing anything in this
         message):

   #        <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

As a personnal taste, I'd rather want using message-mode since it
is already part of the official GNU Emacs distribution. For the
rest, up to Carsten to see what to use.

   The values of the ENCRYPT_* properties could be the key to use, or just
   t.  If the value is t, either the key will be pulled from a file-level
   variable, or the user will be prompted for which key to use (as
   epa-encrypt-region normally does).

I love this idea. That's the easiest I could think of too.
Instead of t, I think ENCRYPT_PROMPT would be a best (no need to
be an elisp expert to understand it).

Regards,

        Xavier
--