Re: [Orgmode] Some bugs in org-5.05 docs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Some bugs in org-5.05 docs
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:47:31 +0200

Thanks, Tassilo.

- Carsten

On Aug 23, 2007, at 16:16, Tassilo Horn wrote:

Hi Carsten,

,----[ C-h f org-insert-link-global RET ]
| org-insert-link-global is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
| It is bound to C-c o i.
| (org-insert-link-global)
|
| Insert a link like Org-mode does.
| This command can be called in any mode to follow a link that has
| Org-mode syntax.
`----

Clearly the second sentence is wrong.  It creates links and doesn't
follow them.

,----[ (info "(org)Using links outside Org-mode") ]
|      (define-key global-map 'org-insert-link-global "\\C-c L")
|      (define-key global-map 'org-open-at-point-global "\\C-c o")
`----

That's totally broken. :-)  `define-key' has this signature:

       (define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF)

So KEY has to be before DEF.  And there's one \ too much in the KEY
definition. Maybe using the (kbd "C-c L") form would be the best, as it
is the easiest for users.  And maybe `global-set-key' is better, too...

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c L") 'org-insert-link-global)
   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c o") 'org-open-at-point-global)

,----[ (info "(org)Radio targets") ]
| You can configure Org-mode to link any occurrences of certain target
| names in normal text.
`----

Hey, that's a nice feature.  I just tried it out and it just worked, so
it seems that not further customizations are required.  So I'd rephrase
the sentence above a bit to not confuse users.  (Oh, it can be
configured, but where is explained how?!?)

Thanks for your brilliant work!
Tassilo
--
Using his trademark roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris once made a fieldgoal in RJ Stadium in Tampa Bay from the 50 yard line of Qualcomm stadium in
San Diego.