RE: [Orgmode] Interpretation of priorities in org-mode

From: Egli Christian (KIRO 41)
Subject: RE: [Orgmode] Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:13:29 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden
On Behalf Of Piotr Zielinski
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 5:24 PM
To: Jason F. McBrayer
Cc: address@hidden

> > If something has to be done today, then that's a deadline, not a
> > priority.

> As I said, my reason for scheduling certain tasks as "for today", is
> that I like to have a plan of what to do each day.  Without an
> explicit plan, I catch myself scanning my todo list many times during
> a day, effectively wasting time on recreating the same plan many
times.
> But I've tried it only for a week now, so I can't say whether it
works.

What I do is that I schedule the tasks that I want to do on a particular
day. I also customize the agenda to show unscheduled TODOs, so my
(weekly) agenda shows me the tasks that haven't been scheduled (probably
not so important, a MAYBE in GTD speak) and the tasks that are scheduled
for a particular day. I look at the current day and see the tasks that
are up for this day.

What I'd like to do is to be able to schedule a task for a given week.
Say I know that I want to hand in a paper which is due in two weeks but
this week is very busy and I have no time to work on it. So I want to
schedule it for next week. At the moment I just schedule it for next
monday but I would like to be flexible next week and do the paper maybe
on another day next week depending on other load. Basically I would like
the agenda to show me something along the following:

ALL CURRENTLY OPEN TODO ITEMS:
  TODO:       TODO A task which has not been scheduled (probably a MAYBE
in GTD speak)
TODO ITEMS FOR THIS WEEK:
  TODO:       TODO Do the laundry (I move this task to a particular day
if I see that a day is not very busy during the week)
  TODO:       TODO write paper (see above)
Week-agenda:
Monday    30 July 2007
  TODO:       Scheduled:  TODO put the db where failover happens
Tuesday   31 July 2007
Wednesday  1 August 2007
Thursday   2 August 2007
Friday     3 August 2007
Saturday   4 August 2007
Sunday     5 August 2007

In this case I see that I will not be very busy this week and I can
easily write the paper and do the laundry. However if this would be a
busy week and there are tasks planned for every day I could decide to do
the laundry next week and just move it forward and not have to think
about it until next week.

I've looked at the code to implement this. I imagine using the iso 8601
week date format for week of the year (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601), i.e. YYYY-Www. The change is
quite invasive and touches a lot of areas of org-mode. It is currently a
MAYBE/SOMEDAY TODO item :-).

Christian