Re: [Orgmode] In-buffer bold face in headline levels

From: Daniel J. Sinder
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] In-buffer bold face in headline levels
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:23:44 -0700

On 07/10/2007 11:54 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> OK, I am giving up on emphasis.  This is really too hard for
> my little brain.  Basically, I don't know how to make this
> work for all the requests I have gotten in the past,
> including
>
> - allowing stacked fontification, like bold and italic
> - allowing characters that are emphasis markers inside
>   an emphasis, like */usr/lib*
> - allowing white space and newlines in the emphasis
>   like *this is all bold*,
>
> I guess one could write a complex function to do the matching,
> but with a regular expression - like I am doing it now, I
> don't think I can make it work.

Can't say I blame you.  I know I couldn't do it with a regexp.

> Here is the deal:  If I get at least 5 tutorials full of
> screenshots by the end of the summer, I will give it
> yet another shot :-)
> Until then, we have to live with this issue.

TODO Org-mode tutorial with screenshots
C-c C-d [2007-09-02] <Enter>

*After you get the 5 tutorials*, here's my suggestion:
Have emphasis work for the simplest case (no stacking, no enclosed
markers, no white space, etc.).  For anything more complicated,
require LaTeX style markup (e.g., \textbf{this is all bold}), but
hide the markup when the closing brace is entered (like hiding
square brackets in links).  Would that be more reasonable?

Thanks,
Dan