Re: [Orgmode] Tutorials

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Tutorials
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:32:49 -0400

> The impact of these two document has been huge, much more than
> the manual or my (admittedly quite boring) web page.

One thing I want to mention---people get you and I confused because
our websites look almost exactly the same. Maybe one of us should make
a few tweaks to the CSS, otherwise people will keep sending org.el bug
reports to me :-)

> This is why I tink it would be great to have more tutorials.
> There are several areas where a step-by-step tutorial,
> with lots of screen shots in the way David wrote his
> could be easily made.

I used a bit of elisp to make the screenshot process easier.  It makes
numbered screenshots using ImageMagick (i.e. the "import" command.)
You may need to tweak things for your system.

It's at http://dto.freeshell.org/e/eeshot.el

> - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
>   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).

I could probably do one of these, especially in regard to Eon. A big
part of the Eon idea is to make some really interesting things happen
with large databases of many org-mode files, which have embedded lisp
data. I am building a sort of annotation system that can read various
org-mode data/properties/timestamps as well as embedded lisp data in
an Eon-specific format. This is the further development of the Linkd
and CellMode ideas and I'm pretty excited about it.

Hey Carsten, it would be interesting to hear your feedback on
the ideas written up at http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Eon.html

There is some working code, but not quite usable yet...

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden