Re: [Orgmode] definition lists in org-mode

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] definition lists in org-mode
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:56:20 +0100

Eddward DeVilla wrote:
Now first off, I know I could get most of what I want if I were to
switch to use outline entries instead of a plain list.  Heading don't
wrap.  That just seems wrong though.  It's a list.  I'd have to
replace the simple checkboxes with TODO keyword (which isn't so
unreasonable now that we can have multiple sequences)

Out of curiousity this led me to try doing something like this:

(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "TODO" "|" "DONE")
        ))

i.e. Hack an implementation of checkboxes onto the todo-keywords feature. Unfortunately it fails to work, the checkboxes aren't recognised as TODO keywords, and don't cycle properly. Obviously also C-c can't be used to toggle them (as it adds tags) and these wouldn't be real checkboxes.

I'm not sure if there is a need for checkboxes in outlines. When I started with org-mode this is something I felt like I needed; though this is likely due to me having previously used vim outliner for about a year.

Can anyone else see a use/need for this?

Vim outliner supports checkboxes as part of outlines, which allows folding etc... It will also automatically check parent boxes when all child boxes are checked (is there a way for org-mode to do this???)

R.