Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Duration Tally
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:33:48 -0500

   I'm starting to wonder if it would be useful to have a general
format for properties (or choose some other word) to be associated
with a heading or todo item.  It seems the heading is getting a little
crowded.

   Would it be reasonable to say that a list of non-whitespace
listing following the heading with a format of "key: value..." are
special.  (Or a table might be nice.  I like tables.:)  org-mode could
provide an interface to get a plist or alist of them for a heading to
simplify writing now features based on them.

   We already have SCHEDULED, DEADLINE, & CLOSED that are meaningful
to org-mode.  This request reminds me of one use call estimate.  These
properties could then be made available in agenda for custom queries
and displays.

  This may not meet your requirement since I'm guessing you would
want the value in the heading so you can see it.  You idea just
inspired me to ask.  My idea wouldn't do the totaling, but I think it
could be the start to allow some similar but more generalized.  I
don't know of anything in org-mode that does what you ask right now.
I would think there would need to be to tokens.  One that is 'this'
heading's value and a second one that is 'this' heading's value, plus
its children's.  It would be like the checkboxes and the progress
tokens.

Edd

Edd