Re: [Orgmode] community writing?

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] community writing?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:21:38 +0100

I think this is a great idea. My use of org-mode is improving, but I'm not yet 100% comfortable with it. I recently refactored how I have been using org-mode; and I'm not there yet.

There's no question that org-mode is a fantastic tool for organising yourself. Its power comes from it not imposing a structure or workflow on you. Unfortunately; this means that it takes commitment and time before you become proficient. When you have a small system going in org-mode you can get away with mistakes, unfortunately as you add more information it gets harder if the structures you've defined don't scale.

The various org-mode guides out there are a great start, but I like you think we need something more. I'd also be interested in seeing the pro's and con's to the various org-mode tools, e.g. KEYWORDS, TAGS, OUTLINES, and patterns suited to their usage etc...

David O'Toole wrote:
I notice the planner world has some pages where they discuss the
various ways people use planner. I think it would be cool for us to
collectively post some org-mode usage strategies, perhaps on an
emacswiki page.

Or, people could prepare a small .org file and send it to me, and I
could paste it into a page of my site. it could be a collaboratively
written "Org-Mode Strategy and Tactics"

If anyone enjoys this, I'll get started by writing my own entry.

--
Rick Moynihan
Software Engineer