[Orgmode] Gnus integration

From: Alain Picard
Subject: [Orgmode] Gnus integration
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 16:06:48 +1000

Hello all.

I've started trying to use the GTD methodology, and have found
org-mode absolutely terrific for this purpose.  However I still
couln't get my mail to work just right (I use Gnus for mail).
What I'm really missing is a way to add "labels", or "tags" to
mail messages, so that I can then narrow the mail buffers to only
those messages matching a tag (e.g. TODO, NEXT, WAITING, etc).

Then I discovered the linking facility; in particular how org-mode
can link directly to a gnus post, so I figured, since I keep my
TODOs in an org file anyhow, I might as well keep the list of
messages requiring actions in there as well, in the form of links.

The following little hack allows to me to file, with 1 keystroke
(I use ">" for "send to the todo list") as a link into my org file.

To use this, you need an entry somewhere in your
file (called *org-email-todo-list-buffer*) which will
match *org-email-todo-tree-header*.

I don't know if anyone else will find this useful, or already
has a better way of handling this sort of thing (I haven't found
it yet, and I did look).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to maybe select different types of
tags directly when entering (e.g. maybe "C-u 1 >" --> WAITING
"C-u 2 >" --> NEXT etc) but I haven't implemented that yet.
I visit my todo file so often it's not a huge burder to just
reclassify all the TODOs rapidly in one go.

Any comments will be welcome.

snippet below.
(defvar *org-email-todo-tree-header* "* Email TODOS")
(defvar *org-email-todo-list-buffer* "~/org/work.org")

(defun org-insert-email-as-current-todo ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((link (org-store-link nil)))
    (save-window-excursion
      (find-file *org-email-todo-list-buffer*)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (let ((point (re-search-forward *org-email-todo-tree-header* (point-max)
nil)))
        (org-end-of-subtree t)
        (insert "\n** TODO -- ")
        (insert link))))
  (message "Saved."))

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map ">" 'org-insert-email-as-current-todo)

Please read about why Top Posting
is evil at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
and http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq_topp.html

Please read about why HTML in email is evil at:
http://www.birdhouse.org/etc/evilmail.html