Re: [Orgmode] no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:59:26 -0600

On 4/20/07, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
You probably have Emacs 21 under Linux and Emacs 22 under Windows.
This is a difference in the implementation of `outline-hide-sublevels'
between these versions, and Org-mode simply calls this function.

 Thanks Carsten, you're right on. I really like the emacs21 behavior a lot more than that of emacs 22.

I believe you could take the Emacs 21 definition of this function and
overwrite the Emacs 22 one by placing the definition into
outline-mode-hook, but I have not tested this.

 I found a hide-sublevels in outline.el but never found any outline-hide-sublevels, so I assume they're they same.

(defun hide-sublevels (levels)
  "Hide everything but the top LEVELS levels of headers, in whole buffer."
  (interactive "p")
  (if (< levels 1)
      (error "Must keep at least one level of headers"))
  (setq levels (1- levels))
  (let (outline-view-change-hook)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      ;; Keep advancing to the next top-level heading.
      (while (or (and (bobp) (outline-on-heading-p))
         (outline-next-heading))
    (let ((end (save-excursion (outline-end-of-subtree) (point))))
      ;; Hide everything under that.
      (outline-flag-region (point) end t)
      ;; Show the first LEVELS levels under that.
      (if (> levels 0)
          (show-children levels))
      ;; Move to the next, since we already found it.
      (goto-char end)))))
  (run-hooks 'outline-view-change-hook))

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'hide-sublevels)

I gave this a try but it didn't work automatically, and I don't know where to go from here.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(levels) [A whole bunch of special characters here]
 [levels outline-view-change-hook beg end 1 error "Must keep at least one level of headers" nil outline-on-heading-p t outline-next-heading outline-flag-region outline-map-region #[nil "  [outline-level levels outline-show-heading] 2] run-hooks] 4 ("c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs/lisp/outline.elc" . 28111) (list (cond (current-prefix-arg (prefix-numeric-value current-prefix-arg)) ((save-excursion (beginning-of-line) (looking-at outline-regexp)) (funcall outline-level)) (t 1)))] 0)

Thanks,
Scott