Re: [Orgmode] org-mode and longlines-mode (especially tables)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode and longlines-mode (especially tables)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:53:12 +0100

On Mar 19, 2007, at 13:46, Alan Dove wrote:

Hey, folks:

I've also been using org-mode with longlines-mode, and had noticed that the two occasionally conflict. I've just developed workarounds for the bugs that affect me, mostly inserting extra carriage returns here and there to ensure the right line breaks for org-mode. Carsten, if you have the option of minimizing these conflicts, that would be great.

I think this is really really hard.  Basically, I would have to change
all places where Org-mode inserts newlines that should be hard.

Hmmm, maybe all newlines that org-mode inserts during internal commands should be hard?

In this case, a brute-force solution might do the trick. This is not well tested, but it does make tables work as long as they are not broader than fill column:

(defadvice insert (around make-org-mode-newlines-hard activate)
  "Make sure all org-mode functions insert hard newlines."
  (if (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
           (boundp 'longlines-mode) longlines-mode
           (equal "org-" (substring (symbol-name this-command) 0 4)))
      (let ((_beg (point)))
        ad-do-it
        (longlines-decode-region _beg (point)))
    ad-do-it))

(defadvice insert-before-markers (around make-org-mode-newlines-hard activate)