Re: [Orgmode] org-export gets mozilla; C-c C-o gets firefox

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-export gets mozilla; C-c C-o gets firefox
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:12:38 +0100

On Mar 14, 2007, at 23:54, Scott Otterson wrote:

When I visit an org mode http link with C-c C-o, emacs opens up firefox
and goes to that url.  However, when I use:

    org-export

the Mozilla web browser pops up instead.  This is on a Linux machine,
org 4.68, and with the emacs variable browse-url-browser-function set to
browse-url-firefox.  I tried switching this browse-url-default-browser
and got the same behavior and then both org-export and C-c C-o pop up
Mozilla, so it appears that org-mode is ignoring the
browse-url-browser-function variable.

Does anybody know how I can make org-mode always pop up Firefox?

C-c C-o on a http url uses browse-url

opening a local html file (C-c C-o on a file:... link, or org-export b)
uses system dependent settings.  On a Linux system
it uses mailcap.  I am not too familiar with the workings of this,
but basically it identifies a file as text/html and then looks for viewers
in

- the file pointed to by the ENV variable MAILCAPS
- in other files like ~/.mailcap,  /etc/mailcap, or /usr/etc/mailcap

I believe it basically uses the same settings that will open a .html file
by clicking it in konqueror or whatever you use for looking at
your file system on the desktup.

Hope this helps.

- Carsten