Re: [Orgmode] adding more color to agenda events

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] adding more color to agenda events
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:43:01 -0700

On 2/28/07, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden > wrote:

On Feb 27, 2007, at 22:30, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way to add new faces to org-agenda?
>
> I would like to add a face for events including the text "meeting" or
> "birthday" and other phrases. I'd also like to create a special face
> for event subjects, such as Diary, life, or work (the first column in
> agenda). It'd also be nice to be able to do faces based on tags.
>
> Is this possible without a lot of hacking?

There is special way of doing this.  In particular, the agenda does
*not* use font-lock, it sets its own faces.

However, there is a hook you can use, and the code to write for it
is relatuvely simple.  For example:

(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook
    (lambda ()
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (re-search-forward "\\<birthday\\>  " nil t)
          (add-text-properties (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
             '(face secondary-selection)))
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (re-search-forward "\\<meeting\\>  " nil t)
          (add-text-properties (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
             '(face bold))))))

Thanks Carsten!

Do you know how to select the whole line instead of just the word?

Also, do you know where I can find more information about the syntax to use in setting colors in the '(face ) area?

Is there an easy way to not interfere with the other highlighting that's going to happen? I'd like to highlight stuff in work.org with a different color, say orange, but I think I'd like TODO to stay red and Scheduled to stay green but change rest of headline color and the work: column. If there's a way to do this easily I'd also like to use it when defining special highlights for tags.

Thanks again,
Scott