[Orgmode] another (different) template request

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] another (different) template request
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:56:28 -0500

Hello all!

I've just finished the collection step of getting started with GTD and am working through my inbox for the first time. I've read the discussions of Org and GTD with great interest. In particular, the post by Carsten at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/715 should be required reading for anyone considering using Org for GTD-- really excellent. Now that I'm actually getting down to brass tacks, I find myself with a feature request.

Previously, I've used Org to publish notes about a variety of projects. Now that I'm using Org for GTD as well, I'm discovering that I've got a few different kinds of files:

- notes: I consider these a type of reference material in the GTD system - projects: combinations of notes, next actions, links to support materials, and deferred items - web pages: content created explicitly to be published with my projects
- other: mostly random stuff I want to keep on my local machine
Now, I intend to use one file per project for two reasons. First, it provides nice structure when the files are published. I can have research/projectA and research/projectB on my site, rather than just one huge research.html page. Second, it seems useful to maintain separate sets of tags for different projects. I'm intending to follow Carsten's advice of using tags both for contexts and people. I have different collaborators on different research projects, so each file within the research directory may different tags; personal projects might have tags for my housemates or family.

Given the above setup, I'd like to be able to define a few different templates for org file headers. My notes files might have different export options than my projects files, and tags will differ from project to project. I can imagine creating a few such templates:

- research project templates (include a line for tags, no pre-defined tags) - personal project templates (predefined tags for the people that tend to be involved in my personal projects) - notes templates (turn on all LaTeX stuff, maybe change #+TYP_TODO) - web page templates (include #+TITLE, maybe change archiving system)

I haven't yet investigated the templating options mentioned here (though dmacro sounds like it's got potential). Still, I wonder if a) the feature already exists, or b) other people would be interested in seeing it included in a future version of Org.

Thanks for any comments,
/au

--
Austin Frank