Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode to handle appointments ?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode to handle appointments ?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:10:15 +0100

Hi Piotr,

thanks for your answer.

Here is the way i come to the idea of implementing some org-appt
gateway.  For appointments, i use both diary and org-mode.  I use
diary when the appointment in not obviously related to any project,
and i use org-mode (just adding a time specification in a timestamp)
for appointments that are project-dependant.

By the way, note that diary is able to handle complex appointments
like the one you describe.  For example, APPT1 is for every first
tuesday of each month, and APPT2 is for every friday starting from
12-12-2006:

  %%(diary-float t 2 1), 19:30 APPT1
  %%(diary-cyclic 7 12 22 2006), 14:15 APPT2

I like the way appointments are displayed in org-agenda, but i lack
some appt related features - such as warnings or the display of the
remaining time in the mode-line.

So i think it would be nice if the following task were recognized as
an appointment :

*** Cours "normes esthétiques"
    SCHEDULED: <2007-01-09 mar 17:00>
                               ^^^^^

For now, i need to add some extra entry to the diary file if i want
Emacs to warn me before such a scheduled task. Hence i cannot avoid
redundancy.

Best regards,

PS: i also use Google Calendar.  That's precisely why i started to add
time specification in timestamps! Now org -> iCal format -> Google Cal
is able to send me text message before an appointment.  But Org is my
primary interface - not Google Calendar...

--
Bastien