Re: [Orgmode] Re: Table questions

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Table questions
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:28:51 -0600

On 12/19/06, Michael <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18 Dec 2006, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2006, at 17:19, Michael wrote:
> You cannot, at least currently.  I am not sure how well this would
> work, because the table editor makes it very easy to swap rows, columns,
> to add and delete columns, and such references would become invalid
> unless one would carefully track these changes.

I agree that you probably don't want to exactly replace the full power of
Excel.  But this simple feature makes it possible to keep track of simple
data.  I won't mind having to redo the formula after row swapping etc.,
which I think won't happen so often for a given table anyway.

I know I use column swapping a lot.  I haven't got formulas down yet,
but if I where to use them in a table where I'm liable to column swap,
I'd probably use named columns.  (That's supported, right?)  Row
swapping would be trickier, but I don't do that much unless I'm
sorting based on a field, and if I'm sorting, I don't think I'd do
much more than ask for "$named_column one row up".

The ability to ask for a named column in a row relative to the current
one might be reasonably safe without having to change formulas.
Swapping rows could still bite the user if he didn't plan things out
right.

Edd