[Orgmode] Re: patch to outline.el concerning isearch

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: patch to outline.el concerning isearch
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:03:21 +0100

John J Foerch <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to implement a particular feature in org-mode that depends upon some
> functionality being added to outline-mode.  (org-mode is derived from
> outline-mode.)  The feature concerns display of ancestor and sibling headings
> when an isearch has come to successful completion in a hidden part of the
> file.  The function whose job it is to decide what to display when an isearch
> has completed is called `outline-isearch-open-invisible'.  Currently, it
> simply calls `(show-entry)'.  The following patch changes that function, and
> adds a new variable, to allow derived modes or motivated users to implement
> alternate behavior.  The default behavior remains the same, but can more
> easily be reprogrammed by a derived mode.

Hi John,

Your request seems reasonable, but I think your proposed change is a
little more complex than necessary.

Does the following patch provide what you need?

*** outline.el  04 Dec 2006 09:41:09 +0100      1.24
--- outline.el  16 Dec 2006 02:00:21 +0100
***************
*** 690,695 ****
--- 690,700 ----
      (goto-char beg)))

+ (defvar outline-isearch-open-invisible-function nil
+   "Function called if `isearch' finishes in an invisible overlay.
+ The function is called with the overlay as its only argument.
+ If nil, `show-entry' is called to reveal the invisible text.")
+
  (put 'outline 'reveal-toggle-invisible 'outline-reveal-toggle-invisible)
  (defun outline-flag-region (from to flag)
    "Hide or show lines from FROM to TO, according to FLAG.
***************
*** 698,704 ****
    (when flag
      (let ((o (make-overlay from to)))
        (overlay-put o 'invisible 'outline)
!       (overlay-put o 'isearch-open-invisible
'outline-isearch-open-invisible)))
    ;; Seems only used by lazy-lock.  I.e. obsolete.
    (run-hooks 'outline-view-change-hook))

--- 703,711 ----
    (when flag
      (let ((o (make-overlay from to)))
        (overlay-put o 'invisible 'outline)
!       (overlay-put o 'isearch-open-invisible
!                  (or outline-isearch-open-invisible-function