Re: [Orgmode] opening an agenda buffer

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] opening an agenda buffer
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:08:39 +0200

On Sep 25, 2006, at 18:59, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

Hi,

   I've started to play with the agenda buffer and right up front
I've hit a bit of a problem.  I tend to open really big emacs frames
(aka, a big window) and then open up several windows (aka. buffers) in
the frame.  When I open the agenda buffer, I lose all of my windows
and get two windows stacked one above the other with the agenda buffer
in the bottom.  Is there a way to just open an agenda buffer in the
current window and is there a reason why that would be bad?

The first reason why it is the way it is:  I like it, and nobody had
(so far...) complained :-)

The second reason:  There are, in fact, too many possibilities,
including opening an extra, dedicated frame etc.  Doing this
gets messy, and I am dreading the box of pandora behind
supporting all these possibilities.

Another reason:  When working from the agenda, org-mode often
displays something in the "other window", usually the original
location of an item in the agenda. How should org-mode know which
"other window" to chose for displaying something, if it is not
allowed to take over the frame? It is hard to do this in a way
that suits everyone.

Anyway, now that somebody did complain, I will put some thought into
this, but don't expect a completely general, configurable solution.
If you have, after reading this, more thoughts about how things should
work, please let us know.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik