Re: [Emacs-orgmode] (BUG?) Problem with proper time frame in agenda.

From: Juraj Kubelka
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] (BUG?) Problem with proper time frame in agenda.
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:08:00 +0200

On 8/8/06, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 8, 2006, at 12:26, Juraj Kubelka wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have org file like example below. But some time stamps are not
> correctly displayed (see example below) in agenda view (org-agenda). I
> use emacs snapshot (22.0.51.1) and Org-mode version 4.43. Is it
> Org-mode bug or just my mistake?
> + <2006-08-11 Pá 09:16>--<2006-08-12 So 13:20>
>   - doesn't work: there is "2006-08-11 13:20" in agenda.

This is a bug in parsing, when looking for a time it just takes one,
not checking if this is a range.  I'll see if I can do something,
probably removing the time-of-day display for ranges entirely.

...or be sure it always takes the right one. In some cases it does.

> + <2006-08-14 Po 10:08>--<2006-08-16 St 11:20>
>   - doesn't work: it is not displayed in agenda.

The agenda assumes that there is only one agenda-relevant time stamp or
range associated with any headline in the buffer.  When it has found
one, it jumps to the next headline, skipping anything in between, to
speed up parsing.  That's why each time you have several stamps or
ranges, only the first is taken seriously.   Hmmm. need to think about
this, what the right course of action would be.  Comments welcome.

Thanks for your explanation. For me would be more useful to have this
possibility. Example:

1. An activity has two parts: one from Monday to Tuesday, second from
Thursday to Saturday... or more parts. (an course)

2. I have several possibilities for the same activity, but I want to
decide later according to other activities.

+ better to have all possibilities in agenda. Then I can look for collisions.
+ maybe have possibility to say this timestamp is not important (will
not be in agenda view). But it is likely better just remove <>
characters around.

3. Kick off meeting notes:

======
** kick off meeting
+ early ideas

1. something
   + I have to ask John no late then DEADLINE: <2006-08-11 Fr>.
2. something2
   + i will prepare it tomorrow  SCHEDULE: <2006-08-09 We>.
3. something3
   + ........... <2006-08-14 Mo>
======

Of course all examples can be (re)written by headlines. But org file
without these restrictions can be more powerful. I don't have to
rewrite my notes from meeting just because of org mode limitations.

Thanks.
Juraj