Re: [Emacs-orgmode] GTD, Projects, and Next Actions in org-mode

From: Piotr Zielinski
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] GTD, Projects, and Next Actions in org-mode
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:38:37 +0100

On 03/08/06, Jason F. McBrayer <address@hidden> wrote:

I thought I'd ask to see how other people who are using org for
Getting Things Done are handling projects and their relationship to
Next Actions.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.  You're definitely not alone with
this problem, and I'd also like to know how others use org-mode for
GTD stuff.

I have a headline "* projects" with individual projects as
second-level headlines, sorted (manually and approximately) from the
most-important to the least important.  To mark  "next action" items I
just use the TODO keyword.   (Alternatively you can define a special
NEXTACTION keyword or tag.)  If I need to see the global list of my
nextaction items I use one of the following commands:
org-show-todo-tree (C-c C-v),
org-tags-sparse-tree (C-c \), org-agenda.  A bit of self-publicity
here: I find context-menus of org-mouse.el useful for invoking these
commands.

Allen recommends keeping all your info as a series of various lists,
but the advantage of org-mode is that some of those lists (such as the
list of current nextaction items) can be autogenerated every time it's
needed and not kept anywhere explicitly.

Apart from the "*projects" headline, I also have a "*todo" headline,
where I put all the todo items which are not clearly assignable to a
specific project (or when I simply don't have the time for finding the
appropriate project to put them under).  Once every while, I go
through the "*todo" hierachy and move some items into the appropriate
projects.  Sometimes groups of entries in the "*todo" hierarchy evolve
to the point of becoming a separate project by themselves.  This might
look like a mess, but actually it allows me to spend more time doing
things than organizing them.

Actually, I was lying a bit: I don't have one "*projects" headlines,
but several of them: "*research activities", "*research projects",
"*other projects", all sorted from most-current to least-current.  I
recommend having separate project lists only if you have a clear-cut
distinction between them.  I also periodically move all projects
further than 10-15 places from the top of each list to one common list
"* one day / maybe".

Piotr