Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:07:46 +0200

On Apr 28, 2006, at 2:33, Dieter Grollmann wrote:

It's difficult for me to explain this in english, I hope you will
understand what I mean :-)

Try my German if you want. :-)

As third part of my life there are some cyclic tasks (meetings of
an association, comitee of the music school etc) which I normally
cannot defer or omit, even in "states of emergency".

So automatic scheduling or deadlining for cyclic tasks which
would insist on being displayed as TODO until I mark them as DONE
could be helpful for me in such times.

Yes I understand. A very basic problem with cyclic scheduling is that if you don't mark the entry DONE, then you can get many of those tasks in your agenda.

One simple way would be to create a separate file and just put those cyclic tasks for the next two years in there. Emacs Keyboad macros can be very handy for this:

For example:

Type

   * Meeting of the Music association
     SCHEDULED: <2006-04-28 Fri>

The goto the beginning of the first line and define a keyboard macro:

   C-x (                ; start kbd macro
   C-k C-k C-k C-k      ; kill two lines
   C-y C-y              ; yank back two copies
   use cursor keys to move to month of second entry time stamp
   S-up                 ; to increase the month by one
   C-a <up>             ; to get back to the star of the entry
   C-x )                ; Finish kbd macro

Then execute the kbd macro 24 times to create this entry for the next 2 years.

Perhaps one day, when you feel bored ... ;-)

:-)  who knows.

- Carsten