emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 515afc9 6/6: Fix crash if user test munges hash

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 515afc9 6/6: Fix crash if user test munges hash table
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 11:39:52 -0700

Pip Cet wrote:

I don't think this eassert () is completely safe.  pure_alloc will
return uninitialized memory if pure space has overflowed, so it's
possible the new table is marked as mutable.

Good point. I wonder what other code has similar problems? Rather than spend time looking for that, I installed the first attached patch, which clears that uninitialized memory. If pure space is going away anyway I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to audit the code for similar problems elsewhere.

Is it really necessary to cater to code such as this? I thought the
general line was that it was okay for bad Lisp code to crash Emacs in
exceptional circumstances, such as by building bad bytecode objects or
by doing silly things in a user-defined hash function...

Generally speaking Emacs should not crash. There is currently an exception for bad bytecode objects, but we really should fix that (presumably by verifying the bytecode before executing it, to avoid slowdown during execution).

While we're on the topic, we should better document how user-defined hash functions should behave. I installed the second attached patch to do that. It also clarifies that hash codes are fixnums.

By code inspection I found some problems that I recently introduced, involving very large hash tables and/or 32-bit platforms --with-wide-int, and fixed them with the third attached patch.