Re: Declaring Lisp function types

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Declaring Lisp function types
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:55:23 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  stefankangas@gmail.com,  adam@alphapapa.net,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  arthur.miller@live.com
> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:48:01 -0400
>
> Here we go, I pushed on 'scratch/lisp-func-type-decls' the
> implementation of what we discussed with a doc entry.  Any suggestion or
> is it okay for master?

I think you can land it on master, but please expand this terse

  @item (type @var{type})
  Declare @var{type} to be the type of this function.  This is used for
  documentation by @code{describe-function}.  Also it can be used by the
  native compiler (@pxref{Native-Compilation}) for improving code
  generation and for deriving more precisely the type of other functions
  without type declaration.

Without any discussion of what can be @var{type} and no examples, this
is too abstract.  I learned more about it from the other parts of the
changeset, where you actually use this.  So please say something about
what can be @var{type}, and add one or two examples.

Also, should we say something in NEWS about this?