Re: master e720ba62193 1/2: (mouse-wheel-buttons): Map old-style wheel b

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master e720ba62193 1/2: (mouse-wheel-buttons): Map old-style wheel buttons to actual wheel events
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 16:39:57 -0400

> I wonder whether/why we should keep the bindings that use
> mouse-wheel-up/down-event here.  Do I understand correctly that since we
> already bind wheel-down/up directly, we should now be able to simply
> remove these additional bindings?

I had an earlier patch which was "more radical" in this way, but in the
end went with this half-way patch where people can set
`mouse-wheel-buttons` to nil and recover the old behavior.

We could remove most of those (if not all) uses of
`mouse-wheel-up/down/left/right-event`, but I don't think there's
a hurry to do that.

Admittedly, the ones in `completion-preview.el` could go because they're
new in Emacs-30 so there's no previous behavior to preserve.

        Stefan