Re: Emacs 29.3 released

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.3 released
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:50:25 +0100

Hi Ihor,

> May it be an option to follow what Org mode does?
> We have a stable branch that we periodically tag as a bugfix release
> (weekly, if there are new commits).
> Only tagged bugfix releases are merged to Emacs upstream.
> The same bugfix releases go to ELPA.

Tramp does something similar on GNU ELPA. It pushes bug fix releases
with a dedicated version. It happens monthly only, submissions to Tramp
happen less frequently.

However, it doesn't push the same bugfix release to the emacs-29 branch,
because not every bug fix is essential while Emeca is in pretest.

>> (FWIW, I don't understand yet why 29.3 was such an emergency that it was
>> released w/o any warning in advance.)
>
> CVE.

I haven't seen any CVE number in the announcement.

Best regards, Michael.