Re: [ELPA] Brief v5.90: neighboring window merge on deletion

From: 路客
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Brief v5.90: neighboring window merge on deletion
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 23:51:51 +0800

> This means that buffer overlays with a 'window' property will not work
> correctly in any of the new ones.

Overlay is a good point, but can be saved before reconstruction and
restored afterwards in the affected windows.  My code try to restore as
many window properties as possible but the overlay is surely a missed
one.  It will be taken care of in my next release.

> Moreover, if such windows were stored in Lisp variables, they would be
> considered dead although they apparently still exist like the ones in
> the lower part of your frame.

If some code store windows in variables, Emacs native window deletion
will also make it dead, besides, Emacs does not seem to provide a hook
for deleting windows thus codes that store windows in variables should
always consider the possibility if a window is dead.  I know the point
is that my window reconstruction makes it appear to be still alive.  As
with most other features, it can be configured to default OFF and switch
back to native Emacs window deletion behavior when causing problems.
But so far I haven't met such a problem yet.  If there is such a case I
hope the designers who store windows in variables provide hooks so that
I can add support on this.

Luke