(byte-compile '(append '(1 2) '(3 4)))

From: Felician Nemeth
Subject: (byte-compile '(append '(1 2) '(3 4)))
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:16:36 +0100

(disassemble (byte-compile '(append '(1 2) '(3 4))))

resuts in

byte code:
  args: nil
0       constant  append
1       constant  (1 2)
2       constant  (3 4)
3       call      2
4       return

Instead I expected it to be something like

byte code:
  args: nil
0       constant  1
1       constant  2
2       constant  3
3       constant  4
4       list4
5       return

I've never looked at byte-code optimization before, and I'm guessing
this is not a huge improvement, but I still wonder when all the
arguments of side-effect-free function are constants would it make sense
to calculate the result at compile time.

Thanks.