Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 18:15:01 +0100

Björn Bidar wrote:

>> Native compilation is useful mainly for power users who
>> want to run Lisp programs that normally are too slow.
>> There is no sense directing most users into doing things
>> gthe complex way instead of the simple way.
>
> I don't "power user" is the right word here. Most users that
> actively choose native compilation had some kind of use case
> that was to slow e.g. programming with lsp that made use
> Emacs with native compilation but I would say most of them
> were experienced.

It isn't true that native compilation is only for power users.
It is for everyone that cares for a snappy user experience in
their everyday Emacs use. This is the biggest benefit from
native compilation - it makes Emacs faster all the time, every
time you push a button, almost, so it is not just when the
supposed power users execute some really exotic and advanced
Elisp (not sure who does that at all or anyway, but it sounds
cool so let's include them as well).

Native compilation is very good, even for fast, modern
computers it makes the interactive feel of Emacs much faster,
so the whole Emacs experience feels much more snappy, more
responsive and more plain fun to use.

So to me, the issue is not "should we add it or not", we
absolutely should, it is rather a matter of _how_ to add it so
not to expose the user to a seemingly more complicated install
process or annoying messages.

If we get it to work transparently (invisible) as intended
from the get-go for everyone, it is a no brainer if we should
have it or not.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal