Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new single file package: mpdired.el
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:18:39 +0000

Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Of course, I'd also like to avoid this latter setup.  Just to be sure,
>>> you confirm that a git repo is unavoidable?  Could it be a just tarball
>>> available on web server?
>>
>> Technically yes, but the ELPA build system would have to be updated just
>> for this use-case.
>
> Ok so it's a "no": I don't want to put a burden on someone else.

Feel free to work on it yourself ;^)  I don't think it wouldn't make
sense, it is just that it seems like a negligible advantage for a rather
insignificant convenience.  I'd also like to be able to track files via
RCS, but exporting existing files to a Git repository turns out to be
consistently easier.

> [...]
>
>>> Ok.  If a git forge is mandatory, I'll ponder which one I'd prefer to
>>> use.
>>
>> As I said, a git forge in that sense is not necessarily needed, you
>> could also just host the git repository from some website over
>> https://.
>
> Great.  I think it is what I would do then.  Thanks.

Just keep in mind to enable the "post-update.sample" that invokes "git
update-server-info", in case you haven't set up a http-Git repo before.

All we need in the end is a URL.

> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean here.
>>
>> It is possible to remap a command, without having to bind a key.  See
>> (elisp) Remapping Commands.  The advantage is that if the user has any
>> custom bindings, say for next-line, then they would automatically be
>> inherited.  That is comfortable from a user-perspective, because the
>> major-mode aligns more with their usual intuition.
>
> Yes it makes sense.  I'll look at it.

1+

--
        Philip Kaludercic on peregrine