Re: [elpa] externals/auctex f124fe7d28: Release GNU AUCTeX 14.0.3

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/auctex f124fe7d28: Release GNU AUCTeX 14.0.3
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:26:55 +0100

> Because back then, `elpa.gnu.org` was not able to generate them.
> Nowadays, we could use
>
>     :doc "doc/auctex.texi"
>
> in the spec instead.

Can :doc be a list?  Because there's also preview-latex.texi.

>> I guess it's because our complicated build procedure on our master
>> branch where we have some .el.in and Makefile.in files where version
>> and date placeholders are being replaced.  So Stefan added a new
>> GNUMakefile to our externals/auctex branch which updates committed
>> files which are generated on the master branch.
>
> Nowadays we could also let `elpa.gnu.org` run this make target when
> generating the tarball with
>
>     :make ("all")
>
> The current spec says :
>
>     (auctex           :url "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/auctex.git";
>      ;; AUCTeX is currently sync'd manually and elpa.git isn't quite
>      ;; a mirror :-(
>      :manual-sync t)
>
> and indeed using the above additions we should be able to make the
> sync be automatic rather than manual.

Does that mean the ELPA devel package could be built from our master
branch always reflecting that and the normal package, too, after version
bumps?  Well, at least in theory after adding a Version header and
somehow setting the version when generating auctex.el from auctex.el.in?

That would be absolutely awesome. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo