Re: [External] : Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Moving packages out of core to ELPA
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:01:40 -0500

> On Feb 17, 2024, at 1:32 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> From: JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 13:21:49 -0500
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> I agree that obsolete connotes “never look here”.
>
> That's not how we treat it.

I was not speaking about how emacs maintainers treat obsolete, rather how end
users and external package developers (may) perceive it.

If in 20 years I need to edit an IDL .pro file, I will use emacs and IDLWAVE to
do it (which, side note, is amazing you can say about any piece of software!).
So not really obsolete, just not actively maintained, and no longer part of
core.