Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:58:52 +0200

On 12/02/2024 15:56, Arthur Miller wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:

On 12/02/2024 12:06, Arthur Miller wrote:
Also, calling vc-refresh obviously results in a quite expensive call to git
process everytime I open a file from git repo. Is it really a good default
option? At least I interpret it so since emacs -q has vc-refresh in
find-file-hook. Why do we even need vc-refresh by default in find-file-hook?
To have the mode-line indicator up-to-date, I imagine.
(setq vc-handled-backends nil) solved it. I would prefer such an expensive
feature to be opt-in not opt-out, or at least better advertised so I don't have
to find by a chance what Emacs is doing in the background; thanks.

The fact of the matter is, it's relatively expensive only on certain platforms, but much less so on the main one that we keep in mind when developing Emacs (GNU/Linux).

You might be curious to hear that visiting a file controlled by Git under MS Windows was ever slower in the past, and yours truly spent some effort reducing the number of process calls we take to compute a file's status (about 10 years ago or so).

                                             I imagine.
I would appreciate if you leave sarcasm out of your answers.

No sarcasm here. Your question is valid: why not defer the process calls until some operation actually requests the file's status.

The answer stems from the UI considerations. And if we show it in the mode-line, we have to update the file's VCS status eagerly.