Rebinding Fn [Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emac

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Rebinding Fn [Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:51:21 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 15:02:50 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 14:18:34 +0200
> > Cc: justin@burkett.cc, philipk@posteo.net, luangruo@yahoo.com,
> >  jb@jeremybryant.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>

> > On 08/02/2024 08:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > But
> > > I added F1 to that text, which should help if someone did change
> > > help-char.

> > Whether help-char is changed, or 'C-h' is rebound anyway, can all be
> > detected at runtime. <f1> can also have a different binding in the
> > current prefix map--then the new message would be doubly incorrect.

> How frequently do people rebind F1?  IME, never.

I bind F1 all the time, in the global map, and have done for over 20
years.  It selects the first created frame (which happens to be
conveniently called "F1" on a tty).  Likewise for F2 to F11.

Standard Emacs is strangely deficient in keyboard commands to select
frames.  C-x 5 o is unusably cumbersome if there are more than two or
three frames.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).