Re: master 9ccaa09a635: ; .dir-locals.el (log-edit-mode) <fill-column>:

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: master 9ccaa09a635: ; .dir-locals.el (log-edit-mode) <fill-column>: Set to 64.
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:10:14 -0800

On 2/7/2024 5:36 PM, Po Lu wrote:

This change breaks with our conventions and historical practice, and
makes both commit messages and ChangeLogs take up much more vertical
space for no practical benefit.

??? Our historical and current practice is to fill ChangeLogs to 74
columns, which setting the fill-column in log messages to 64
accomplishes.

Aren't the entries in ChangeLogs indented by one tab (so 8 characters by default), which would mean that if we want to fill the ChangeLog to 74 columns, we actually want log-edit-mode to fill to 74 - 8 = 66 columns?

 See CONTRIBUTE:

- Lines in ChangeLog entries should preferably be not longer than 63
   characters, and must not exceed 78 characters, unless they consist
   of a single word of at most 140 characters; this 78/140 limit is
   enforced by a commit hook.