Re: [External] : Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in E

From: Divya Ranjan
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 03:52:24 +0000

> Not to distract, but FYI library `keysee.el' is
> an alternative to which-key.  Less known, some
> differences, maybe worth checking out.

The dependency on `sortie.el` is actually cumbersome, that said
`keysee.el` implements a totally non-intrusive mini-buffer completion
for keybinding suggestions.

I remember using `which-key` and implementing golden-ratio to my
windows, things messed up because `which-key` suggestions are in a
proper window, thus potentially intrusive. One can fix this, as a lot of
people do but if this is to be integrated into core Emacs one needs to
take care of that.

Honestly, I believe if we can just add it as a part of the customizable
UI then it'd be great. Just like we have `ido-completion`, or the
ability to have menu items on the GUI, we can add a keybinding
completion system and put it on the manual. People should discover it
from Emacs Manual, as they discover other things such as customizing the
UI. Making such features immediately visible to the user is a complex
problem to solve, which can't be solved right away. But a feature like
this _can_ be implemented and should be alongside the discussion on
discoverability and what 'defaults' Emacs should be shipped with.

Regards,

Divya