Re: combining cond and let, to replace pcase.

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: combining cond and let, to replace pcase.
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:27:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>>   My favorite programming languages are Lisp and C. However, since around
>>   1992 I have worked mainly on free software activism, which means I am
>>   too busy to do much programming. Around 2008 I stopped doing programming
>>   projects. As a result, I have not had time or occasion to learn newer
>>   languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, Lua, Go, Scala, Rust, and so
>>   on. Therefore, I don't have an opinion about them as languages.
>
> "...stopped doing programming PROJECTS" (emphasis mine).  That's not
> the same as "stopped programming completely".  Yours truly, for
> example, didn't do any programming project whatsoever.

Ok, but it also says before that "which means I am too busy to do much
programming" (since 1992). I guess what that means when combined with
the later "since 2008" in open to interpretation.

What I really meant to say with all this, is that I find doubting a
premise is always a good thing. There is more to a given su.bject than
what a person has done in the past. I myself, for example, can generally
not be trusted. People should always use their own brain.

BTW, since you mention it, I've been programming the whole time, until
recently, partially because of age. I worked in commercial projects, as
a freelance programmer.

No Emacs at all, that is 100% true. Not even as a user, for the most
time, since say 2004, I don't know.

And I'm still not doing much, partially because no-one wanted it (C++,
CL packages (kind of there, but rotting)), and partially because I've
realized that meanwhile things qre too big for me (concurrent
redisplay).

But I've done sometihing. Adding packages to Elisp leads one to a lot of
strange places :-).

However, despite the long absence, in the 1.5 or so that I've picked up
Emacs again, and did stuff, I never had any problems understanding
things. Which makes what's going on so perplexing.