Re: Inline completion preview

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:52:49 +0000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 5:32 PM Alexander Adolf
<alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> wrote:

> I wanted to use those other 3rd party packages with company, so I had to
> accept the complexity of my dot-emacs code. Hence, for me the only way
> to avoid the complexity in my dot-emacs would have been to not use the
> other 3rd party packages, or to not use company, or both.

No.  I don't use any third party packages and I get to use Company
in exactly the same contexts you use Corfu.  Read below.

> > [...]
> > We should not compare apples to oranges and make decisions
> > based on that.
>
> I'm not sure I follow you here. Could you perhaps be so kind to shed
> some more light on what you were referring to here?

Well, I thought I was pretty clear, but OK, here goes spelled out again:

In your first post to this thread you mentioned that Company had an
"ecosystem" and needed "complicated setup" to configure it.  Then
you stated that Corfu solved this problem.

I can agree to the first part (that Company does have an "ecosystem"
of various third-party plugin extensions) and I may even agree
to the fact that those extensions are complicated to setup
(who knows, they might be, I don't know which ones you mean and
I've never tried them).

But comparing _that_ to Corfu is unfair and "apples to oranges",
since Corfu only sets out to do what the built-in, 1st party,
"company-capf" backend does.  Company can do quite a bit more,
which you may or not appreciate -- and you clearly don't.

That is just fine, so I suggested that if what you appreciate
is Corfu's purported simplicity of setup, then in Company, you
need only add that one line to your setup:

  (setq company-backends '(company-capf))

Furthermore, I mentioned two confirmed known problems with Corfu
that are known to necessitate third-party extensions based on
advice to work with core Emacs facilities such as Eglot.  I also
mentioned Corfu's known inability to work with TTY Emacsen out
of the box, and someone pointed out that that needs an extra
package and its dependency.  For a fair comparison, these things
should be added to Corfu's "simple" setup.

It's only once you get two Emacsen side by side, running each
Company and Corfu with their respective "simple" setups, that
you'll be comparing apples to apples and make a strong point.
Else, you'll be comparing apples to oranges and your point
will be very weak.

Hoping that is enough light shed,
João