Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:42:44 +0200

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 07:28:38AM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> > Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 4:31 PM
> > From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 08:49:53PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hello, Eli.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I have always disliked the replacement of ASCII characters by non-ASCII
> > > Unicode punctuation in working documents [...]
> >
> > Not a devel here, by a long stretch, so count me as anecdotal, but I'm
> > with Alan here.
>
> One should learn a language and get an article published (e.g. in Japan).
> It is evident that only American Isolationists dislike anything unresembling
> the modern english alphabet [...]

Please: keep your insinuations to yourself. I don't know whether Alan
is American or not, but AFAIK he's living somewhere else for quite
a while.

As for me, I've been to the USA (what you probably call "America") for
two weeks straight, that's all. Currently I'm more or less fluent on
four languages and have learnt two based on non-ASCII character sets.

> A much more serious problem is Texinfo continuing to rely upon Plain Tex only.

Now we're getting technical. Much better. I'd argue for LuaLaTex.

Cheers