Re: [ELPA] New package: dape

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dape
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 14:12:05 +0000

James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> writes:

>>> I'm not overly attached to it. What are your objections? And do you have
>>> any suggestions? I find it quite difficult to name things like this.
>>
>> It just doesn't say that much, and I don't know if it is intended, but
>> the usual way I would read/pronounce it (rhyming with cape) wouldn't
>> immediately signal any relation to DAP.  Note that you can use (elisp)
>> Shorthands to avoid writing out a longer name inside the file, in case a
>> longer name like debuger-adapter.  It seems there is no package by the
>> name of "dbg"?  If we are not interested in a self-descriptive and
>> memorable name, and would want to create a parallel to Eglot (IIRC Emacs
>> polyGLOT), perhaps something like based on "Emacs Debugger" (Egger?
>> Ebugger?  Edebugger?) might be possible as well.
>
> There's also 'gudap':
>
> https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/716#issuecomment-895866818

That would make sense if the package was based on gud, but unless I
missed something that is not the case with Daniel's implementation.

That name would make sense when combining the existing GUD/GDB interface
with the DAP extension[0], as an alternative implementation for more
traditional users.

[0]
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=de7d7cb58e6209ed11c31f635545ee2ee6ded307

--