Re: [External] : Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:46:45 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

>> 466 out of 1637 Lisp files in Emacs require cl-lib (some of
>> them only during compilation, i.e. they use only the
>> macros).
>
> If a file uses cl only during compilation (for macros) it is
> not much of a problem. How many use it at run time?
>
> I reported one file a few weeks ago that is always (or
> nearly always) loaded and uses cl-lib, forcin it to be
> nearly always loaded too. That should be fixed.

But if it is shipped and included with vanilla Emacs, which it
is, how can it be either any more or any less (dis)encouraged
for use than anything else included on the same premises?

If something isn't part of vanilla Emacs one can maybe say
"see if you can do without it, because if you use it, it has
to be brought in externally adding complexity" - perhaps.

But it _is_ included so in terms of technology it is on the
same level as everything else included. Are we gonna have one
big toolbox containing a bunch of tools, but on certain tools
put on little stickers saying "don't use this"?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal