Re: Solution to a proposed FAQ, how to maximize emacs quickly (like `ema

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Solution to a proposed FAQ, how to maximize emacs quickly (like `emacs --maximize`) for GNU/Linux - Improved solution by Chad: ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:18:21 +0200

On 9/29/23 00:39, David Hedlund wrote:

On 9/28/23 22:05, chad wrote:
Apologies for joining late, and perhaps you have already tried and discounted this approach, but: Have you tried adding:

(push '(fullscreen . maximized) default-frame-alist)

or perhaps

(push '(fullscreen . maximized) initial-frame-alist)

to early-init? I put the first above line in ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el, and got an initially maximized window under an odd Wayland+XWayland system as well as Win 11. I don't have reasonable access to either a more typical X11, Wayland, or macOS system right now.

The key is to put it in early-init.el, which is consulted before emacs makes any windows in any window system. Also worth noting: if you end up with conflicting elisp settings and X resources, there are a variety of ways for the latter to silently override the former. You can check this with "xrdb -query" (you might want to run this in a shell buffer or pipe it to a pager).

Hope this helps,
~Chad

Today is a good day. This is working like a charm! I tried default-frame-alist, and initial-frame-alist, in upgraded virtual machines right now:

* X11:

** Trisquel 11: Working

** Ubuntu MATE 22.04: Working

** Ubuntu 23.04: Working

* Wayland

** Ubuntu 22.04: Working

** Ubuntu 23.04: Working

This is the only solution so far that relies 100% on Emacs Lisp. I think this can be documented in https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-GNU-Linux.htm

Your solution effectively replaces my devilspie2 solution, Chad. Thank you very, very much!

REQUEST: Can anyone please try Chad's solution and confirm if it is working for

* Windows 11

* macOS

* BSD

If it is working for all of them, perhaps it's better to add a basic section (e.g. https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode.htm) and document that the solution:

* Will quickly maximize emacs (like `emacs -mm`) by using ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el, to avoid the slightly distracting visual effect of Emacs starting with its default frame size and then growing to fullscreen. Adding  "(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))" to the top of ~/.emacs will is cause the distracting visual effect if additionally typically configurations are added in ~/.emacs.

* Only requires Emacs lisp and works out of the box.

* Will be executed automatically when emacs starts.

Just to avoid confusion, this line was added by mistake:

* ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el prevents the the visually distracting effect is (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))

Of course, I meant that it should be what Chad suggested: (push '(fullscreen . maximized) default-frame-alist)

End, this line was added by mistake

* Works for GNU/Linux (X11, Wayland), [Windows], [macOS], [BSD]