Re: Proposal to add Popper to ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Proposal to add Popper to ELPA
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 08:10:09 +0000

Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com> writes:

>> One more point, the user option `popper-echo-dispatch-keys' seems to
>> have a broken type.  Shouldn't it be something like
>>
>> (repeat (choice key-sequence character))
>>
>> with proper tag annotations?
>
> I'm not sure it makes sense to enter these keybindings one-by-one, or to
> have tags attached to each entry.  The idea is that this is a list of
> keys that will be bound to buffers.
>
> I will change it from (group string character) to (group key-sequence
> character).

The issue here is that `group' is the wrong type.  See (elisp) Composite
Types,

‘(group ELEMENT-TYPES...)’
     This works like ‘list’ except for the formatting of text in the
     Custom buffer.

and

‘(list ELEMENT-TYPES...)’
     The value must be a list with exactly as many elements as the
     ELEMENT-TYPES given; and each element must fit the corresponding
     ELEMENT-TYPE.

So your type now will match

  (list (kbd "C-a") ?z)

but not

  (list (kbd "C-a"))
  (list ?z)
  (list)
  (list ?a ?z)
  (list (kbd "C-a") (kbd "C-a") ?z)

or the current default value.

> As an aside, how do I determine when a customization type was added to
> Emacs?  I want to be sure that (for instance) the `key-binding' type is
> available on Emacs 26.1.

I don't know if this is the best way, but I checked wid-edit.el and
using vc-annotate I could see that it was added in 2005.  It is also
documented in the ChangeLog files.