Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 07:22:39 +0200

Feel free to ask if any questions come up in the course of your
discussions.  You can write either to the list, or directly to Eli and
me.

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated!

One key point is that it can be done over time.  I don't know if it
makes sense, but perhaps `clojure-ts-mode' could be considered
separately from `clojure-mode', such that one is merged before the
other.

We'll ponder over this potential path as well.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023, at 1:36 AM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
"Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev> writes:

> That's good to hear and it sounds fairly reasonable to me. I'm
> guessing that the hardest part will be getting everyone to sign the
> CA, as there were quite a few contributors over the years. (and
> ideally we'll need some simple way to get new contributors to sign the
> CA - I'm not sure what's the process these days)

The process is that you fill out a form, email assign@gnu.org with those
details, and they will let you know the next steps.  IIUC it normally
just involves a PDF to print, sign, and send back.

You can see how John Wiegley collected assignments for use-package here:

    https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/282

One key point is that it can be done over time.  I don't know if it
makes sense, but perhaps `clojure-ts-mode' could be considered
separately from `clojure-mode', such that one is merged before the
other.

> I'm guessing that clojure-mode should also be available on GNU ELPA,
> so users can update to the latest version, right?

Yes, that is correct.  It can be set up in one of two ways.

1. A package bundled with Emacs is what we call a :core package.

2. A "regular" GNU ELPA package, not bundled with Emacs.  Normally
   changes are automatically pulled from the package repository.

In both cases, the GNU ELPA scripts will automatically detect when the
"Version:" comment header is updated, and release a new version based on
that commit.  If `clojure-mode' is bundled with Emacs (option 1), this
means that you merge your changes into emacs.git, with the new "Version"
header, to release a new version.  If it is not bundled with Emacs
(option 2), you would simply push to your repository.

> If you don't mind - I'd like to ask to put the topic on hold for a bit
> here, so I can discuss it properly with the other members of
> clojure-emacs and hear how they feel about it. If you truly believe
> that it'd be important to include clojure-mode in Emacs we'll consider
> this carefully. I hope you'll agree that's not super time sensitive
> and there's no need to make hasty decisions.

This is sensible, and we will accept, of course.  There is no rush at
all, so take the time you need.