Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 23:14:39 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> However, my thesis was not that it is impossible to do in Emacs, but
> that there is a lisp machine that already has figured out that work.

As is already customary from you, this conflates the job of running the
Lisp interpreter within different lwps with the task of making it safe
to do so, should code running in that interpreter attempt to leverage
Emacs primitives.

True, the first problem has already been solved by eminent Lisp
implementations.  But we have almost solved it as well.  And if two
threads modify a buffer simultaneously, leaving PT and PT_BYTE out of
accord, Emacs will crash regardless of whose threads it's using.