Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 05:43:58 +0200

Po Lu wrote:

> Unix was designed for 16-bit uniprocessor machines, where
> the only form of ``interlocking'' was:
>
>    int x = spltty ();
>    splx (x);
>
> But today, both free BSD Unix and proprietary Unix

BSD and proprietary Unix, what about Linux?

> scale to SMPs with hundereds of processors, exploiting
> intricate interlocking around individual kernel
> data structures.

I agree with those who say rewriting Emacs to get SMP would be
to burn down the house to kill the rats, but is that the only
way to get SMP?

Cannot the "single-thread Lisp machine" instead be modified
and extended from its current implementation, so that it would
support SMP?

If that is the future of computing, I think there is no
staying in the past, so it is rather a question of how to get
it in the best way possible.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal