Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 05:53:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Andrea will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIU Ihor is
> correct: native compilation in Emacs emits a kind of GIMPLE,
> which is then subject to GCC optimization pass. That's why
> we have the native-comp-speed variable, which is mapped
> directly into the GCC's -On optimization switches, with n =
> 0..3.

The docstring for `native-comp-speed'.

Optimization level for native compilation, a number between -1 and 3.
 -1 functions are kept in bytecode form and no native compilation is performed
    (but *.eln files are still produced, and include the compiled code in
    bytecode form).
  0 native compilation is performed with no optimizations.
  1 light optimizations.
  2 max optimization level fully adherent to the language semantic.
  3 max optimization level, to be used only when necessary.
    Warning: with 3, the compiler is free to perform dangerous optimizations.

I have that 2, which is the default value. Maybe I should try
3 and see if something breaks. I wonder what those dangerous
optimizations are?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal