Re: master 32fe187bdf1: Install rcs2log within Emacs packages for Androi

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 32fe187bdf1: Install rcs2log within Emacs packages for Android
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:24:08 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Why isn't system-type or something similar enough for that?

Because that says nothing about Mailutils.

> And if that's not good enough, I think we should have a Lisp variable
> or function to do this job, because these issues will keep popping up,
> and doing all of that in C, just because we don't have the information
> in Lisp, is not a good idea.  We do stuff like that in other cases,
> cf.  noninteractive, window-system, daemonp, etc.

But it's cleaner to have them in C.  It will consume less space in the
dump image, less Lisp will require revisions upon changes to the C build
system, and so on.

> First, it's cleaner.

How is it more elegant to incessantly pawn issues off into Lisp?

> And second, these issues will happen in Lisp code as well, and
> inventing a primitive for each one of them is not the best idea.

I must disagree: the only bearing such build details have upon process
execution is the name of the executables within exec-directory.  Other
details can be adequately addressed through examining the values of
`system-type' and the feature list.

> I don't see how these are relevant.  These variables are actually used
> in callproc.c, with the single exception of configure-info-directory.

And also Vshell_file_name.  callproc.c's sole job is to set it, based on
build and system information.