Re: A note about clang-format

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: A note about clang-format
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:13:58 +0100

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023, 20:45 Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we (meaning you) should lobby Eli for compile_commands.json
> generation first :)

I think that might not even be necessary because users can do that
easily, if they know how.  See https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear, for
example, which is GPLv3.  With it, do an initial full build with "bear
-- gmake" instead of just "gmake".

Yes, I've used 'bear' before (in fact I asked you, remember?).

But -- great as it is -- it's still basically a hack which requires actually compiling the code to learn _how_ it would be compiled. That's not always practical, perhaps not even always possible depending on the toolchain to use.

So it's a needless hindrance and, afair, not perfectly accurate (you had some non-trivial ad-hoc tweak script as I recall).

I don't see a fundamental technical reason not to generate this simple file from our own configuration script, which is the source of truth for this information after all.  In all Cmake projects I work with, it's a matter of setting a simple variable. I wonder if the automake world doesn't have something similar. If it doesn't, how hard can it be to add one?

We should lower that bar so that every Emacs C hacker (including Eli and other long timers) can benefit from LSP (with Eglot, of course ;) ). This will be beneficial to Emacs C code and to Eglot itself of course.

And with that, it seems I have done all the lobbying myself :)

João